From: Neundorf, Alexander [mailto:Alexander.Neundorf@jenoptik.com]
Sent: 02 March 2006 11:08
To: Retallack, Mark; ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: AW: [ECOS] Problem found with flash driver

Hi,

> Von: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
>
> Hello everyone, I think I have found a minor problem with the io layer

> of the flash driver and before I continue with my fix, I just thought
> that I would ask if anyone else has seen it.
>
> I am using JFFS2 over a flash bank that I am not running code from, so

> interrupts can be enabled during flash access. The processor is an
> MPC850.
>
> With the virgin eCos flash.c code (from CVS), the system
> crashes with a
> random memory corruption, I have tracked it down to a context switch
> within the flash_program function in flash.c. After looking
> through the
> file and the eCos mailing list I found that the HAL_FLASH_CACHES_OFF
> define states that interrupts must be disabled.

I had also crashes when interrupts occured during flash_program(). But
since we don't write often on the flash, I simply disabled interrupts
when calling flash_program(). This is not optimal, but was good enough
for our purpose.

> After modding the code to disable interrupts before flushing and
> disabling the cache, the system works correctly with no problems.

Sounds good :-)
There is also a different flash branch, maybe this is fixed there, I
don't know.

> I have not created a patch because the HAL_FLASH_CACHES_OFF define in
> flash.h looks very generic and I cannot test the mod. But this is what

> I have done:

Can you please send it as a patch ?

Bye
Alex