Request for hints

Hi ecos wizards.  I'm a newbie, and am looking for hints and howtos
etc.

My goal is to produce extrememly minimal images, initially for use in
exercising hardware blocks in a simulator.  Later they will run on
real hardware.  To that end, I'm looking at ecos as a platform for
building targeted test images.

The question is, how minimal can I make it?  If I wanted to, for
instance, ditch pretty much everything except malloc/free, printf,
some basic thread support, basic interrupt handling, how close could I
get to that with ecos?

I've played with the config tool, built some tests using the canned
recipes etc, and scanned through the doc a bit.  Any further hints on
how to make lean-and-mean images would be much appreciate.  TIA...