Re: Help getting started: PCI/USB

Robin Randhawa wrote:

On Friday 07 April 2006 02:48, stevemors@gmail.com wrote:

I have been tasked with a project that involves a PCI-to-USB slave
device on a PC platform. This is supposed to allow the PC to act as a
USB slave.

Chipsets that provide a USB Host controller Interface AND a slave device interface are becoming increasingly common. Not surprising to see a slave only interface for PCs. Would aid slave side USB development I guess.

1. Would the driver for this device be a USB driver wrapped in a PCI
driver? Would I look at existing eCos PCI and USB drivers and create
some sort of hybrid of these?

As Andrew pointed out, there aren't any drivers for PCI per se. PCI is a busing scheme that allows access to peripheral memory with a view to dynamically mapping the devices in the CPU's address space and also allowing access to the device's configuration space.

In order to use PCI as an access mechanism, a PCI Host controller needs to be setup and that is usually done first by the BIOS.

2. The PC bios configures the PCI bus and devices. This means CPU-PCI
address translation is unknown to eCos, correct? How can I fill in
this information when this configuration has been skipped? (Doesn't
redboot have to do this?)

The address mappings done for each PCI-accessible device are done via device specific Base Address Registers. These are filled in by the BIOS as a temporary mapping to allow stuff like ethernet controllers etc to work at boot-time. The BARs are re-written by the OS as deemed necessary. I would think that eCos would do the same to suit the address map of the platform in question.

The key here is to understand that a USB Slave controller is a USB device that is accessible to the CPU via a PCI bus.

Cheers,
Robin

I'm doing the same thing right now. We started with a Philips D12 then an ISP1181 on the PC/104 (ISA) bus. Now we need some more speed, so the hardware guy has started on a PC/104+ (PCI) board using a PLX NET2280 USB2 slave chip. So I'll probably be writing the software by the end of the month.

If you haven't chosen hardware yet, have a look at the NET2280. It interfaces directly to the PCI bus, and there's already a Linux USB gadget driver written. Obviously, Linux and eCos drivers are significantly different, but at least it'll start giving you some ideas.

Frank Pagliughi