Hard-Realtime behaviour

I am currently working on making eCos hard-real time. As the developers of RTAI claim that RTAI is hard-realtime, I have been comparing the code of RTAI and eCos w.r.t the interrupt handling, kernel primitives, system calls etc.

IFAIK a "Hard" real-time OS is an Operting System in which the worst-case execution time of the system calls is either known beforehand or computable based on the how the application is configured (aka no. of threads, no. of interrupting sources, their periodicity) etc.. but I have not been successful.

I would be really glad if someone could help in this direction. I would like to know what parts of eCos have to be either re-written or written from scratch to conform to hard-realtime OS behavious.

Thanking in Advance.

PS : I understand that I have asked the same question once too many, but I am only askeing after trying out all other avenues.

--
Regards,
Vamshi