Re: RAM vs. ROMRAM question

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

>>> I usually run RedBoot from RAM because
>>>
>>>  1) On my targets, RAM is several orders of magnitude faster
>>>     than ROM, and it allows RedBoot to keep up with network
>>>     traffic better.
>>>
>>>  2) Doing things like re-formatting flash and updating RedBoot
>>>     is much simpler if your not runnning from flash.
>>>

>> Both of which are what ROMRAM startup is designed to do.
>
> Except then ecosconfig won't let you configure RedBoot as a
> monitor without complaining.

Oy. That's not what I meant to say -- let me try again.

In both cases (RAM startup and ROMRAM startup), RedBoot is
running from RAM at the same location.  There is, AFAICT, no
significant difference in the executable image.  In one case,
you're allowed to configure RedBoot as a monitor. In the other,
you're not.

I don't see why there's a difference.

> Which was my initial point: there's nothing that says a
> monitor can't run in RAM, so why does ecosconfig object to
> that?

Or perhaps more importantly, why does it object to it only part
of the time?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Two with FLUFFO,
                                  at               hold th' BEETS...side of