Modifying a board support package

I'm working with an EB40A ARM7 eval board that is set up a little different
from the way it was out of the box, and the configuration options for the
standard HAL package don't cover the changes. My board has a slightly
different flash memory, which requires a source code tweak, and has some
extra SRAM soldered to the board, which isn't listed in the standard memory
map.

It looks like what I want to do is copy the packages/hal/arm/at91/eb40a tree
to a different name, and make some changes to the source, headers, and CDL
files. However, being new to this, it isn't obvious what else I need to do.

1) Should I put my modified HAL in an adjacent directory, like
packages/hal/arm/at91/eb40a_mod? Or is it cleaner to put it somewhere
completely different, under my home directory somewhere?

2) Regardless of where I put it, how do I get my new package to appear in
the list of packages in the config tool?

3) And what specific change is needed to get it to put its temporary build
files into foo_build/hal/arm/at91/eb40a_mod, rather than
foo_build/hal/arm/at91/eb40a?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco