Re: ROM-startup RedBoot can't load RAM-startup RedBoot

On 2006-12-28, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2006-12-22, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
>>> I've built ROM-startup and RAM-startup versions of RedBoot for
>>> the NIOS2 architecture.  When loaded into RAM via JTAG, the
>>> RAM-startup version works fine. The ROM-startup verions works
>>> fine (except that it erases itself anytime it tries to write to
>>> flash).
[...]
>>> I think it's because the text section in the RAM-startup
>>> version loads on top of the running ROM-startup RedBoot's
>>> ".rwdata" section.
>>>
>>> Is that the way things are supposed to work?
>>
>> No.
>
> I wish I were surprised.  ;)
>
>> The RAM 'mlt*' files are normally organized such that their
>> requirements (TEXT, DATA, etc) are outside what might be used
>> by a ROM (or ROMRAM) RedBoot.
>
> Rats. I was afraid I was going to mess with the mlt*.ldi files.

This time it was my fault, not Altera's. :)

I hadn't set CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR like I should have.

After I set CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, there was a CDL option
that let me specify the amount of RAM to reserve for the ROM
monitor's rwdata.  It doesn't work quite right, since it always
allocates 256 bytes more than you ask for, but once you know to
ask for 256 less than you want, it's usable.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I just had my entire
                                  at               INTESTINAL TRACT coated