Re: In-built shell for Redboot

Yes, vxWorks does it, and its convinience for run-time debugging &
examining of various tasks. Most of the time, we include debug symbols
during
development, and take them out completely for production. Having this
form
of shell environment make it easy to debug in runtime system,
especially
for networking apps.

My thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestion.

>>> "wang cui" <iucgnaw@msn.com> 01/31/07 6:56 PM >>>
I think he want to call function by name directly without a warpper of

"RedBoot_cmd()" macro.

Actually VxWorks provide this function. It strips all symbles from
application image, then generate a source file contains all symbles,
then
add it into project and rebuild it. Then user can call all functions
directly from VxWorks shell.
However, I think Redboot style is good enough.

But what I am thinking about is: Can we divide the shell functionality
from
Redboot and create a new package(suppose to be RedShell)?
Because we always need a shell in application, and there are very many

things have been implemented in Redboot. If so, we can reduce a lot of
work
in writing application shell.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss