Re: eCos on Windows without Cygwin

On 2007-03-01, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> wrote:

> If you don't agree that the dependence on Cygwin is hampering eCos,
> then don't read further.

Windows+Cygwin may indeed suck (IMO Windows+<anything> sucks).
Just do the right thing and install Linux. ;)

Windows+Cygwin is a royal pain, but it's probably not going
away.  The tools Altera supplies for it's new 32-bit CPU
(NIOS2) are purely Eclipse+GCC based. On Windows, they ship
enough of Cygwin along with it to create something that almost
works.

Rathing than stating that "the dependence on Cygwin is hapering
eCos", I prefer to say that "the availability of eCos tools for
Cygwin is widening its audience.

> Problems w/Cygwin:

[lots of problems w/ Cygwin]

Yup, Cygwin sucks compared to a real Unix system.  So use a
real Unix system.

> As far as I know, MinGW binaries of GCC toolchains + eCos tools is the
> most tantalizing prospect.

Except the eCos tools require a lot of support stuff (TCL,
bash shell, etc.).  I don't see how MinGW binaries of GCC
toolchains are going to allow you to run fairly complex TCL and
bash programs.

> Since a eCos needs are so simple & unchanging,

eCos needs aren't really all that simple.

> I believe a MinGW based package could live relatively
> unchanged for years.
>
> Does anyone know of any organized efforts to address these
> problems?

I don't really see how it could work.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My ELBOW is a remote
                                  at               FRENCH OUTPOST!!