Re: eCos configuration question (was Re: General Q ...)

On 2007-05-31, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:50:50AM -0500, John Mills wrote:
>> Leaving aside my responses to Andrew cut in below:
>>
>>  1. How should I set or clear this switch in my *.ecc files? I
>>     don't recognize the entry in 'configtool'. Should I edit
>>     the *.ecc and regenerate the tree? Edit the affected
>>     'hal.h'?
>
> You should never need to edit a .h file. I personally never
> use the gui tool.

I don't think any of the "pros" do.  AFAICT, it's just
eye-candy to lessen the initial culture shock for Visual-C
programmers. ;)

> I find it much easier just to edit the ecos.ecc file and use
> ecosconfig

That's what I used to do, but I had a hard time keeping track
of what I had changed from the defaults.  Now I find it easiest
to write a shell script that creates a source tree.  It seems
like a bit of a hassle at first, but you're always sure what
you've got (all your tweaks are in one small file) and you're
always sure you can repeably generate the same source tree.

#!/bin/bash
set -x

ecosconfig new foobar net
ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_POSIX
ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_I2C
ecosconfig add CYGPKG_FOOBAR_DM2_I2CEEPROM

cat >.tmp$$.cdl <<EOF
cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_DIAG_MANGLER              {user_value None}
cdl_option CYGPKG_IO_NFILE                      {user_value 256}
cdl_option CYGNUM_FILEIO_NFILE                  {user_value 256}
cdl_option CYGNUM_FILEIO_NFD                    {user_value 256}
cdl_option CYGPKG_NET_MAXSOCKETS                {user_value 256}
cdl_component CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE     {user_value 0}
cdl_option CYGNUM_MEMALLOC_FALLBACK_MALLOC_POOL_SIZE {user_value 0x20}
cdl_option CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE                 {user_value 0x260000}
cdl_option CYGPKG_NET_NUM_WAKEUP_EVENTS         {user_value 40}
cdl_option CYGPKG_NET_BUILD_HW_TESTS            {user_value 1}
cdl_option CYGPKG_NET_FREEBSD_INET6             {user_value 0}
EOF

echo
echo "Importing CDL settings:"
cat .tmp$$cdl
echo

ecosconfig import .tmp$$.cdl

ecosconfig tree

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Half a mind is a
                                  at               terrible thing to waste!
                               visi.com