Confusion on serial port usage

I have an ARM based port that I am working with and am using the
Generic 16X5X serial drivers. I am a little confused on diag_printf,
HAL_DIAG_WRITE_CHAR, and how the serial device driver routines all
play together. My board only has 1 serial port so everything has to
share 1 output. My question is, if I include the serial port drivers
(Generic 16X5X), should diag_printf() be using HAL_DIAG_WRITE_CHAR()
or should it be transmitting characters via the serial port driver?

In my configuration diag_printf() is transmitting characters via
HAL_DIAG_WRITE_CHAR() through the virtual vector table. I have my
configuration set so that eCos claims the virtual vector table and
there are no monitor services used. Can someone help me straighten
this out?

Thanks.