What is Newlib actually used for?

I'm wondering what use eCos actually makes of Newlib.

The Newlib libary is used when building the GCC part of the toolchain,
as far as I understand libsupc++ uses it. This seems to be the reason
for the undefined references to __impure_ptr in this library, as a part
of it uses stdio functions for printing some kind of error message.
Stdin and the like are defined by Newlib headers as members of a struct
located at __impure_ptr.

I think eCos never actually uses any Newlib code, so wouldn't a
libsupc++ compiled with Newlib headers cause lots of problems when it's
linked against eCos libraries?

I don't quite understand whats the point of using Newlib and how this is
supposed to work at all. I hope someone can enlighten me about this :)

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown