From: John Mills [mailto:JMills@airdefense.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:56 PM
To: Alok Singh
Cc: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: RE: [ECOS] Re: Network TCP Handler: stale socket disposal

All -

I don't believe my patch was ever accepted. The eCos sources carry a cautionary note that such a 'hung' socket may have been placed on the net stack 'accept' queue, and may be in the process of acceptance by a user thread which could then block.

I checked Linux and FreeBSD man pages on this. In Linux the blocked task would receive the next such incoming client and be unblocked. This is perfect for my application. Neither OpenBSD nor FreeBSD man pages address the issue specifically.

I didn't try to replicate the race condition myself.

eCos now uses an older version of the BSD stack, and updating it looks significant - well over a month's work, maybe 3 or 4 based on the time the original author reported for his port.

The patch solved a show-stopping problem with our application and seems to cause no problems, so we're using it. Two other users tried the approach and wrote me off-list: in one case it resolved a problem, in the other it made no difference (either way, as far as I know). I can share the patch on a "no warranty" basis, but would prefer to post it appropriately rather than circulating it randomly.

?- John Mills