RE: IP adress Get and Set (SIOCSIFADDR problem ? )

Hi Alok,

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Both SOCK_RAW and SOCK_DGRAM work.  Maybe some other
options work as well.  I talked to people at work.  I
was told the difference with different options lies in
that when you get ip address, you will not be able to
as a non-super-user if it's set with SOCK_RAW, since
only super user has SOCK_RAW permission.

My other question is that: is there a way for the set
IP address to survive power cycle with
ioctl(SIOCSIFADDR)?

I know for sure if the host's original IP address is
dynamic.  When you power off the computer and power it
back on, the DHCP in config file
(etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0) is still
there, the system starts to get IP address from DHCP
server.

Thanks very much in advance!
pam

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-01/msg00130.html