Re: networking support for my eCos application

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:10:59AM -0500, C B wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I think I'm missing something here.  I checked out the latest from
> CVS without any issues but when I tried 'ecosconfig new eb9261 net'
> I got a bunch of warnings about version subdirectory 'XXX' does not
> have a CDL script and no valid version subdirectories and finally
> and error 'Unknown target eb9261' (out is included below).

That is probably to do with incompatibilities with the cygwin you have
and the config tool. Grab the latest snapshot from the eCosCentric.com
DevZone.

> I tried configuring things with configtool and that was even more
> confusing.  I tried building a template based on an ARM eval board
> (PID) but it wouldn't let me add any packages to the template
> (e.g. AT91 ethernet driver) nor was there any obvious way to create
> a new template.  The error I got when trying to add a package was
> 'add and remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware
> template'.

You are not allowed to add hardware packages to a target. The AT91 eth
driver would not work with the PID, since it is for the on chip
ethernet you find in the AT91SAM7 devices. This is one reason adding
hardware packages are not allowed!

> I also notice that trying to create a new platform with configtool
> provides a dialog box with several fields but regardless of what I
> fill in the ok button is never enabled.

I don't use the config tool, but i don't see how that can work. You
need to edit the ecos.db and add a new target. Use the others as an
example.

> I was just hoping to be able to create an eCos configuration for an
> ARM 9 based evaluation board but I seem to be missing something
> fundamental in how these things are setup.  Is there any
> documentation that takes a new user through the process?

Look at the section:

target integrator_arm9

for an ARM9 example.

    Andrew