Re: FSF copyright assignment. [Was Re: Re: Is eCos project still alive?]

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:00:02PM +0100, Ilija Koco wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 05:38:02AM -0500, Chris Zimman wrote:
> >
> >> Frank,
> >>
> >> I think you raise a valid point here.  Perhaps it would be time to consider
> >> creating a more up to date release.
> >> Rather frequently on the list, someone will say something to the effect of
> >> 'I've downloaded/am using eCos 2.0 ...blah blah...it seems very out of
> >> date...'  The traditional response has been 'Go pull the latest from CVS'.
> >>
> >> Thoughts anyone?
> >>

> > It has been for a long time the aim to make a release once the
> > copyright transfer to FSF is completed. This has take much much longer
> > than we ever thought it would take. We are nearly there, there is just
> > one copyright assignment left, which is taking a while to sort out.
> >
> > Once this is completed we will start the work needed for a
> > release. This is not something we can do overnight. It involves a lot
> > of work. Nearly ever file needs to be touched in order to change the
> > copyright notices. We probably need new tool chains, want to merge in
> > the v2 flash branch, maybe pick up some patches which got dropped
> > along the way etc. We need to do a lot of testing....
> >
> >       Andrew
> >
> And yet there isn't any note of this event. I am apologize for changing
> the subject, but I don't recall of any announcement on mailing list and
> surely there isn't any news at ecos.sourceware.org. I got an official
> (snail mail) letter from eCosCentric about my assignment being
> transfered to FSF and that's all.

As Andrew said above it is still not complete, despite the hundreds of
hours spent on trying to complete this process - my apologies for
under-estimating the time already spent on this, as I only have direct
visibility of eCosCentric time that has gone into it.

Pre-announcing, giving a blow-by-blow report of who's not responding &
for how long etc. would just add to the frustration and build a platform
for further whining, whinging and unproductive gossip. As you've seen,
mostly people try to rise above the level of responding to trolls,
ill-considered views, non-existent smoking-guns, cheap shots and
unreasonable criticism ;-)

In other news, eCosCentric secured the rights to the eCos trademark
earlier in the year in order to protect the mark, its usage and to
ensure that the community would be able to use it. We wouldn't have done
that if we weren't planning for the continued growth of eCos...

 Daniel

  Daniel Morris - Sales & Marketing Director
  eCosCentric - The eCos and RedBoot experts
  Tel: +44 1223 245 571 - info@eCosCentric.com
  DDI: +44 1269 591 171 - danielm@eCosCentric.com

  eCosCentric Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with
  company number 4422071, VAT number GB 811 6278 42, registered address
  Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.