Re: creating a new template

On Dec 22, 2007 5:59 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> Gregg Levine wrote:
> > Hello!
> > In the collections of templates I see three Intel386 based PC ones. I
> > would like to create one that contains everything except networking by
> > means of the preselected devices.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest the steps needed?
> >

> Firstly, you probably mean "target", not "template".
> Targets are ways of instantiating a particular hardware
> platform (architecture, 'motherboard', devices, etc).
> Templates describe collections of software packages
> and are hardware neutral.
>
> For example, the 'pc_i82559' target describes a generic
> PC which has, in particular, hardware support for the
> Intel 82559 PCI ethernet controller.  If you build eCos
> like this:
>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82559 minimal
>   % ecosconfig tree
>   % make
> the resulting eCos kernel will run on that PC [box], but
> since the template used (minimal) does not include any
> networking support packages, the fact that the target
> specified the i82559 driver is irrelevant.  In fact,
> you would get an identical eCos kernel from
>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82544 minimal
>   % ecosconfig tree
>   % make
>
> Given the way that CDL is used to enable/disable the
> building of drivers, etc, the ethernet drivers in either
> of these examples won't even be built.
>
> If you don't want networking, then don't use a template
> which includes network support.  If you examine the templates,
> you'll see that only 'net', 'lw_ip' and 'all' include networking.
> If you start with any other template, you have to explicitly
> add network support, regardless of what hardware device
> drivers the particular target may support.
>

> --
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Hello!
I see.
My basic problem is that my test device, doesn't use the normal
methods of supplying a networking device. It uses PCMCIA cards to
supply them.

And when I instruct the basic PC one to add both PCMCIA things to it,
the first one goes in, that's for storage it seems, the second one,
for networking does not.

What I want to do is to produce a PC one, without the I82544 included
in it. Equivalent to a bare PC board that was created without the
embedded networking and perhaps even USB that was popular at the start
of the time period.
--
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude