Re: Running sample apps using Cygwin and simulator

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:07:08AM +0100, J?r?my Alles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I?m a quite new user to ecos, and I?d like to know if it is possible to run
> sample applications provided with ecos within a simulator using Cygwin and
> WindowsXP.

The powerpc emulator should work on Cygwin.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/connecting-target-sim.html
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-ppc-sim.html

However, compared to other solutions these are somewhat limited.

You could use the bochs simulator, which will give you a richer
"hardware" environment. Or use vmware.

> If it?s not possible, would that be possible using a Linux machine. Do you
> recommend a given distrib (Ubuntu, Debian?) to do so?

I would actually recommend you use Linux, even when there are ways you
can work on XP. Although Cygwin works, it can be a pain. Things work
easier on Linux, since most of the tools have a Unix/Linux history and
have later been made to work on Cygwin. Linux also allows you to run
eCos as a process, using the synthetic target.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/hal-synth-arch.html

This is a very flexible solution, since with a bit of work you can
emulate your peripherals of your real hardware. I've implemented a
complete network of devices by making an emulator for the physical
layer of our network device, over TCP/IP sockets with a server process
which does packet loss, corruption etc, and been able to debug the
protocol stacks running in eCos. The synth target is nice for quick
compile/run/crash/debug cycles since you don't have to wait 60 seconds
for JTAG to program your flash on your hardware etc, and you have the
full power of native GDB etc.

     Andrew