Re: LwIP PPP interface not coming up

Frank Pagliughi wrote:
Hey All,

I'm trying to test out PPP with lwip. Currently I'm just trying to get one of the lwip test applications, like 'tcpecho', to negotiate with a host (a Linux machine over a direct serial connection). It performs the negotiation, exchanges IP addresses, but it appears that maybe the ppp interface never comes up on the target. I'm getting the same behavior with an ARM EB55 target and an i386 PC target. I see similar questions posted from a few years back, but no solution.

Thanks,
Frank
OK, I think I answered my own question. The code appears to be missing the call to bring up the interface when the PPP connection comes up. In sifup() in ppp.c, @ line 1009 it reads:

   if (netif_add(&pc->netif, ...)) {
       pc->if_up = 1;
       pc->errCode = PPPERR_NONE;

It never marks the interface "cp->netif" as being up. A call to netif_set_up() appears to fix it:

   if (netif_add(&pc->netif, ...)) {
       netif_set_up(&pc->netif);
       pc->if_up = 1;
       pc->errCode = PPPERR_NONE;

This seems to have been added to the lwip sources at version 1.2.0.

Frank