Re: ecos usage question

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Dave Milter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several question about ecos (new for me technology),
> may be someone can answer?
>
> As I understand I build ecos as library and then link it to my code,
> move it to bootable storage and my device is ready to run,
>
> but
> 1)what about reflashing, I mean updating software in device,
> what preferred way? At now I see only one way: building also redboot,
> and first of all boot it, then it boot my software or reflash my software or
> reflash itself, but I actually will have on flash two ecos libraries,
> one linking with my software and another linking with redboot.
>
> 2)What about FPU? I see in code C implementation of math.h functions,
> what about if want use assembler variants which gcc produce?
>
> 3)related to (2), I doubt that gcc which recommended as default
> toolchain for arm support FPU that I will use (VFP9-S), can I use more
> recent versions of gcc, like 4.1 to build ecos?
>
> --

For your first question:
As you said, just use Redboot in front of your actual application.
It's stand-alone (doesn't link with your application in any way), it
just boots your setup and then executes your actual eCos application.
Then it is very easy to do software upgrades/reflashing using
Redboot's scripting capabilities. Just avoid overwriting your Redboot
image in flash of course. Using Redboot to boot your setup is the most
common approach anyway.

For 2 and 3: I don't have much experience with FPU, and building eCos
with another toolchain then the one provided can be tricky AFAIK.

Tom