Re: eCosCentric Cortex-M port contribution

Nick Garnett schrieb:
As some of you may know, eCosCentric have been working on a Cortex-M
port for eCos for a while. This has now reached a reasonably stable
state and is currently running through tests in our test farm.

Can the test results be browsed by normal people, or is this still exclusive to ecos maintainers?

We have decided to contribute the basic packages to anoncvs. This
will provide a working Cortex-M base on which the community can
further develop their own custom hardware ports.

Sounds great!

The packages I intend to contribute are as follows:

Architecture HAL
STM32 Variant HAL
STM3210E-EVAL Platform HAL
USART serial driver
On-Chip FLASH driver (V2 flash interface)

Are there plans to merge the flash V2 support into the trunk anytime soon? Or is this scheduled for the ecos 3 release?

In addition there are a number of toolchain issues that need to be
addressed. I discovered a potential problem the M3 implementation
which needs a compiler modification (ARM are currently still
evaluating the issue). GDB has some problems correctly supporting the
different layout of the CPSR register in the M processors. There are
also some GCC multilib issues that need sorting out.

The result of this is that we will release a specially patched version
of the ARM toolchain to go with the contribution.

Could you give us some more information about the issues? Also, are there plans to get the patches into the mainline GCC?

All of this is in hand but not quite yet ready for contribution: the
toolchain work needs completing, and we want to get a few runs in on
the test farm to ensure there are no obvious problems before
contributing.

I expect this to take a couple of weeks more.

Now, that puts me in quite an akward situation, as I've been working on a community cortex-m3 port for almost a month now. I wonder if it is best to stop my efforts and wait for your contribution. As we just got the first prototypes of our new STM32 based design a few days ago, we really look forward to get ecos working on the boards, so I cannot really just sit here and wait for your release. Is there a possibility to get the current snapshot upfront so I can continue with development based on your port, and see if there is anything worth to be contributed from the community port? I'd rather put further efforts into your port, if it is the better base for the future.

Best regards,
Simon