Re: Toolchain updates and flashv2 merge

Ps... sorry for the previous messages text formatting...dont know what happened there..

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Larmour" <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: "eCos discussion" <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:05 PM
Subject: [ECOS] Toolchain updates and flashv2 merge

New prebuilt toolchains are available for testing with eCos, in preparation
for eCos v3.0.

They can be obtained from ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/gnutools but
hopefully by now they will have started appearing on mirror sites that will
be more local and so download faster for you:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/mirror.html
http://sourceware.org/mirrors.html

The toolchains to download are the ones with "20081107" in their name.

These are based on GCC 4.3.2, a binutils snapshot of 2008-06-19 and a gdb
snapshot of 2008-07-06. But many patches needed to be made (which is also
why I'm not upgrading to the newly released binutils 2.19 as we've been
testing with this source base and don't want to rock the boat more). The
patches are also on the FTP site.

ARM users will note that they will need to manually change the CDL
configuration variable CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX from arm-elf to
arm-eabi. This will be resolved across all ARM targets before the eCos 3.0
release, so no need for patches thanks. In the first instance please report
any problems you think are caused by using these tools to me (CC'ing
ecos-discuss, but make sure I'm included directly). We don't want the
release process to drag out now that we have an opportunity in our schedule
for doing it, so please bang on these so we can move to a final release.

Of course I can't guarantee any problems will necessarily be things we can
fix, rather than report upstream. But (after my toolchain patches),
eCosCentric have been using these tools successfully, so if there are any
problems, then that probably just means I need to pull over some more
patches from eCosCentric's tree. So don't spend too much time investigating
as the problem may already be solved!

I'm working on the merge of the flashv2 branch to the trunk (sort of - in
fact I expect to mostly use eCosCentric's existing merge). Expect things
temporarily not to work in anoncvs shortly :-). As part of this, as well as
merging io/flash and redboot's flash support and some of the drivers,
eCosCentric will also be contributing an improved Strataflash driver.

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine