Re: Problem with precompiled Cygwin arm-eabi toolchain

Hi Uwe

Uwe Kindler wrote:

> I have the precompiled arm-elf toolchain and the precompiled arm-eabi
> toolchain from the eCos homepage installed at the same time. I use to
> the newest Cygwin version. While the arm-elf toolchain builds the target
> ea2468 without any problems, the arm-eabi toolchain fails with described
> error message. Because the build works fine with the arm-elf toolchain I
> cannot imagine that it is a issue related to my Cygwin installation. If
> there would be any problem with fgrep, sed, tail then also the build
> with arm-elf toolchain would fail.
>
> I tried to build a simple test.c file from command line:
>
> arm-elf-gcc -c test.c -o test.o
> arm-eabi-gcc -c test.c -o test.o
>
> While the arm-elf-gcc printed a warning "no newline at end of file" and
> created an test.o file, the arm-eabi-gcc did not print this warning nor
> did it produce an test.o file.
>
> This is the same problem like described in this message:
>
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2008-11/msg00075.html
>
> So I'am not the only one with this problem.

It appears that there is something missing in your Cygwin installation
which is causing arm-eabi-gcc to fail silently. My own Cygwin
installation includes packages from the "Base" and "Devel" categories
plus a few others which are unlikely to be relevant. If you are in a
hurry, try installing all the Cygwin packages from the "Devel" category
using the Cygwin Net Release Setup Program. If you have more time, it
would be helpful to determine precisely which of these packages are
required.

John Dallaway