RE: FAT32 over NAND

> This will be raw NAND flash.
>
> There are two ways we want to access file system written on NAND flash:
> 1 Through PC
>   PC will make use of the file system using mass storage driver.
> 2 Through device itself
>   Device (uC) should be able to access read/write files from NAND
> flash.
>
> Hope I have given the answers you are looking at. If not please free to
> ask.

As pointed out yesterday, if you try to treat this as a removable mass
storage device you will need to make
sure that these two things don't happen at the same time (eg. device *must*
be unmounted from Windows -- or
Linux or OSX or whatever) using FAT or you are going to end up in trouble.
Even read-only from the device
side won't always work reliably since PC operating systems generally cache
access to the file system and do
the writes batched.

If you can assure that Windows (or whatever) and the uC never access the
device at the same time (I don't
mean protecting via a mutex or something like that), I mean the uC never
accesses the file system while the
device is connected to a PC) then you can probably get away with this.  If
not, the FAT32 solution is not
going to work well.

--Chris