Netgear managed switch GS108T -- open source friendly?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Netgear GS108T.  This device is a managed
switch running eCos with (apparently) proprietary extensions.  They
offer a GPL tarball together with a PDF that documents build
instructions and a long changelog.  I have a couple questions for you
folks:

1) The PDF documents two separate modifications to eCos 2.0: Broadcom
modifications covered by the GPL, and Broadcom "added modules" (which
I assume means proprietary).  Is building proprietary modules into the
eCos system against the license, and if not, is it possible to extract
these modules in binary form?

2) Is it possible to tear apart the firmware image using the eCos
build tools to extract the system?  I'd like to find a way to examine
the "Web SuperSmart" stuff they put in their firmware.

3) I have no serial console, and no time or inclination to open the
housing and solder on a JTAG interface.  I assume that they are using
Redboot, but I have no way of telling.  Should there be telltale signs
in the boot code?  If there is a way to determine one way or another
it would be good to call them out on it and get my hands on the
Redboot source.

4) Their build instructions do not work.  Has eCos 2.0 changed in the
last several years (since late 2007)?  If not, are these "sources"
intentionally broken so that people will not attempt to build them?

Some links:

GPL source archive (only contains eCos modifications):
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/GS108T_V1.0.1_03_src.zip

Current firmware (decompress with gzip):
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GS108T-V3.0.3.2.hex

Thanks for your time,
Michael Mohr