Re: "Plug-and-play" networking in eCos

Chris Holgate wrote:
Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2009-04-22, Tarmo Kuuse <tarmo.kuuse@mail.ee> wrote:
Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
I wish to add basic "plug-and-play" networking to an eCos device. It should be a fairly standard task in network-enabled embedded devices. All users would like to hook their stuff to a network and access the UI by typing "mydevice" into a browser.
No replies. Apparently plug-and-play is not hip with eCos
developers :)
No, I just have no idea what "plug-and-play networking" means
in this context.

To me, "plug-and-play" refers to a mostly-broken scheme to
auto-detect ISA cards in old-school PCs and configure their IO
addresses and IRQ usage automagically.  IIRC, it didn't work.

The PnP TLA has subsequently been overloaded and extended to give UPnP, which is what I think the original question was about. See:

http://www.upnp.org/

I agree with the OP that it would be a useful addition to eCos to
include support for device-side UPnP, since this is now a pretty
standard feature on networked consumer gadgets.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the concept, not any specific technology with a trademark name.

Gadgets with Ethernet should just work. If a network is without infrastructure (no DHCP, no DNS, no nothing), user should not configure anything to make it work. It's the only solution for non-IT people.

User takes eCos device out of box, turns it on. User connects his laptop with the device (or a network of those devices). User starts Firefox, types the address "http://mygadget"; and the web interface comes up.

This requires solving two simple problems:

1. Devices self-assign IP addresses (see [RFC3927])
2. Devices provide limited name resolution (see SMB [RFC1001], mDNS or LLMNR [RFC4795])

I was just probing if anybody had done this before.

The UPnP is for much more difficult problems.

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse