Re: where's the printf output?

On 2009-04-27, Jeffrey Krasky <jkrasky@cs.umn.edu> wrote:

>> There is talk about that you need either a real target (in an
>> example that's some abstract ARM evolution board) or the
>> synthetic linux target which can "emulate" the real one on the
>> _linux_ hosts only.

Or you can run on a sw emulator like Qemu.

> I need to get the words clear. By "real target" you mean
> something like a board with some company's microprocessor on
> it, such as Atmel? (I mention Atmel since a previous post
> today talks about AT91SAM7X256.) And by "synthentic target"
> you mean that I would have a Linux machine set up to emulate a
> board, and then I could eventually take the code from the
> Linux to the board itself?
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Sort of. Except you don't really need Linux -- though
everything, including building eCos apps, is a _lot_ easier on
Linux than it is on Windows.

You can run eCos directly on the "bare metal" of a virtual
machine like Qemu or VirtualBox.  You don't need Linux to do
that.  You can run those VMs on Windows. However, you're not
going to get anything very "real time" out of that set-up
either.

> If so, maybe eCos is not for me? I want to run an app on a
> Windows XP machine and I want to get some sort of RT behavior.

That's not what eCos does.

> Maybe I've had a misunderstanding of what eCos is for.

I think you have.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm DESPONDENT ... I
                                  at               hope there's something