newbie : configure fails with error "Unable to figure out how to do 64 bit arithmetic"

Hi All,

I'm a first-timer with ecos.

I've downloaded ecos (along with the pre-built GNU toolchains -
arm-eabi) using the "ecos-install.tcl" script.

As per instructions I made a new "build" dir and tried to run
"configure" from inside it.

It fails with the following error:

checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking "for a 64 bit data type"...
configure: error: Unable to figure out how to do 64 bit arithmetic
configure: error: ../../../../tools/src/infra/configure failed for infra
configure: error: ../../../tools/src/configure failed for tools/src

How do I get over this error?

I have compiled Linux kernel, but have no experience with ecos.

Why do I have to run configure/make/make install? I see that the
"ecosconfig" utility is already present. Can't I just use the ARM toolchain
and the ecosconfig tool to build the kernel with the required config?

My main aim is to see the size of the kernel image for my target platform.

Regards,
-mandeep