Re: issue with raw bsd sockets

On 2009-08-07, Jay Foster <jay@systech.com> wrote:

> DHCP uses INADDR_BROADCAST (255.255.255.255) as the broadcast
> address.  You probably need to set the interface broadcast
> address to match.  You may also need to add a route to allow
> broadcasts.  Look at the DHCP/BOOTP eCos code.  It does some
> of this too.

IMO, this is a major bit of suckage in the BSD network stack.
People have been complaining about it for a long time, and
we've tripped over it several times under eCos.

Under Linux, you can set the destination IP address to
255.255.255.255, and it gets sent to 255.255.255.255.  IOW, it
"just works".  Under BSD and eCos you've got to jump through
all sorts of hoops to send a broadast packet.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm a GENIUS!  I want
                                  at               to dispute sentence