Re: ecos + lwip

agfa prayoga s wrote:
Hi all,,,

did lwIP 1.3.0 port that Simon's patched for eCos 3.0 has improvement in
memory footprint?

i am trying to run httpd example under lwip package on AT91SAM7X-EK board
filled with AT91SAM7X256. that microcontroller only have 256KB ROM and
64KB RAM.

i have compiled the example successfully only with PBUF value 10, disable DHCP,
SLIP, PPP, raw socket support, IP forwarding.

using arm-eabi-size, httpd binary has size:
.text : 82740
.data: 5428
.bss: 50792

notice that the sum of .data and .bss is almost 56KB, near 64KB.

if i increase the PBUF value over 10(default value is 60), compilation process will failed with error that
is no longer room in .bss because the limitation in 64KB.

maybe this is out of topic, but i appreciate your assistance...

Well that's hard to say. You would need to ask that question on the lwip list. I don't know if there are major differences in memory consumption between lwip 1.1.0 and 1.3.1. One advantage of my port is that it can be run in a completely polled mode (I call it simple mode), so you can run all your network code in a single thread, instead of multiple threads (at least 3). The old port did not directly offer that option. This can spare you quite a bit of memory (stacks). Notice that when using the simple mode, you will have to use the raw APIs (see httpd_simple example) and cannot use the netconn and socket APIs. In my project, I use the polled mode for the exact same reason (memory) with good results.

Simon