Re: Switching to using git on eCosForge

Patrick Doyle wrote on 2009-09-17 14:10:
> It has been quite some time since I was last doing any eCos
> development work (although I have lurked here ever since).  Since that
> time I have started using git and have felt that, when next I rejoin
> the eCos development community, I was going to investigate using git
> with eCos.
>
> What happened previously was that we would grab an eCos snapshot of
> some vintage, develop the HAL for our custom board, and somewhat
> sporadically resync to the main development tree.  I'm nowhere close
> to being a git expert, but from what I've seen, this should be made
> much simpler with git than it ever was with SVN.

I think we should stay away from SVN.  The generally accepted model
nowadays for open source development is to use a distributed revision
control system, which SVN is not.

As Øyvind said, we need to get into the 21st century.

> I don't have any experience with bazaar or mecurial, but if they
> support the ease of forking and resyncing branches that git supports,
> then I imagine I could learn to be happy with one of those.
>
> Your comments about the support/lack of support/ for Windows is
> compelling, as I have also worked in an environment where I was the
> lone Linux guy in a sea (ok, a puddle) of Windows users.  I'm
> perfectly happy typing obscure strings of characters on a command
> line, but have seen that I am in a minority there.
>
> Don't know if this helps, but it's my .02 on the matter.

Thanks for the feedback.  You may be in a minority, but you are not
alone ;-)

-- Alex Schuilenburg

          **** Visit us at ESC-UK  http://www.embedded.co.uk ****
          **** Oct 7-8 on Stand 433 at FIVE ISC, Farnborough ****