Re: Re: What's the process on switching version control system for eCos?

Sergei Organov wrote on 2009-09-22 15:59:
> Ãyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:
> [...]
> IMHO, eCos is not that big to worry about the size of the repository,
> provided huge binary images are not put into the repository.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Seen ecos-images?!?!?

FAOD, I have begun the process of converting anoncvs to mercurial.  It
is not a raw "hg convert" since so far I have found 199 files which
confused CVS.  This was the time where CVS had the bug where files
introduced on a branch were automatically introduced into the trunk
instead.  An update of CVS later fixed this bug by marking these files
in the trunk as 1.1(dead).  I also have found various files which for
some reason were not tagged by CVS (have not a clue why, but at least
they were present when the releases were shipped).  The choice of files
CVS ommitted to tag appears completely random.

And yes, I have tried cvs2svn, git etc etc etc to make the conversion.
The tool I have found that gets closest is a modified cvsps 2.2beta 1.
I say modified because, unsurprisingly, some images (gif's, png's) are
erroneously not marked as binary within CVS so the patches generated by
cvsps or even diff are b0RkeD.

My choice of mercurial is immaterial as to the final choice of DRCS
since it can easily be exported to git or bzr if that is the final
chosen DRCS.

Also, I will be killing the images (some 98MB) from the repo, but will
preserve it as a separate repo in case anyone is insane enough to want
them.  FYI, they were various binary images of gdb stubs or redboot for
rom or ram or romram startup for various platforms, most of which are
now obsolete.  While a nice idea, the practice of keeping the images
updated for new platforms was not followed by the maintainers since we
left planet Red Hat.  You can always merge the repositories if you want
a closer reproduction of CVS.

I say closer because, rather than doing a faithful CVS convertion, I am
fixing problems like files not actually being tagged as part of a
release (i.e cvs co -r <tag>) despite existing in the repo on a branch
when the tag was made and being shipped with the release and others
previously mentions.  I have had to become a CVS expert to detect and
fix most of these problems and now HATE CVS with such a passion you
would not believe.

I intend to make this hg repo available to everyone from one of our
servers, and will update it at least weekly with updates from anoncvs
(maybe daily, depends on the load) until a DRCS choice has been made and
is live on sourceware.  At least until then some folks have an
alternative download method and can better prepare
patchsets/contributions. Actual delivery date depends on my "real work"
workload.  Talking about which...

-- Alex Schuilenburg