Re: connect ethernet cable at run-time

On 2009-09-25, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:

> I think it would be hard to shield the DHCP code from
> insufficient file handles.

If the application is doing something insane and burning up all
of the system's file handles, then I wouldn't expect the DHCP
client to be able to overcome that.

> But yes that does confirm that an unplugged cable at startup
> means no IP address unless the user calls
> init_all_network_interfaces again.
>
> In this respect, the DHCP code wants improvement.

I can't think of any use-cases for our products where the DHCP
client should ever give up.  Telling customers they have to
guarantee the power-up sequence of various portions of their
plant to make our DHCP client happy isn't really an option. ;)

Am I missing something?  Are there situations where giving up
on acquiring an address is the right thing to do?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I just forgot my whole
                                  at               philosophy of life!!!