hg (mercurial) repositories for ecos

Hi all

As promised, I have converted the ecos CVS repository to mercurial and
am making them available for public consumption.

You can browse and download them from here:
  http://hg-pub.ecoscentric.com/

For example,
  hg clone http://hg-pub.ecoscentric.com/ecos
for the current trunk

Or if you are using TortoiseHg, just set your source to
http://hg-pub.ecoscentric.com/ecos when you clone.

I will try keep this updated 1x per week with the latest set of checkins
from CVS - full automation is still a bit unreliable - and will post up
the images respository in a couple of days.  Obviously this is read
only, so pushing will get you nowhere and eCosCentric reserve the right
to pull these repositories at any time.

I believe I have preserved individual CVS changes correctly, although
tags obviously will be hit-and-miss since CVS tags and DRCS tags are
very different beasts.  However, while you may get more files than you
bargained for when you update to a tag in hg, I believe that the file
revisions do correspond to those tagged within CVS - mostly ;-)

I will post a summary of the conversion to the maintainers list later
this week.

However, I am not sure whether it is worthwhile posting a full
evaluation of the different DRCS options as I initially said since this
IMHO is analogous to trying to re-invent the wheel (there are so many
other public evaluations out there).  I will say this however.  All
three main DRCS systems I looked at were pretty much the same when it
came down to technical features, with git being slightly faster and
slightly more powerful (nothing to write home about though).  However,
hg was IMHO better when it came down to ease of use, visual tools,
windows and GUI support and most importantly documentation.  hg "just
worked" on on both Windows and Linux, while git was more painful (both
cygwin and native) to get properly installed and working on Windows (and
cygwin was slooow!!!). bzr was slowest of the lot.  YMMV.

Feedback as usual welcome.  Lets hope the public ecos maintainers don't
take too long to pick up the hint, go distributed and join the 21st
century.  Go-on, just clone and serve - you know you really want to ;-)

-- Alex Schuilenburg
Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
www.ecoscentric.com