Re: Re: eCos submodule support

Ãyvind Harboe wrote:
> [...]
> I have never tried to manage hg as a submodule in git.
>
> So, eCos choosing "the other DVCS" would
> make my life harder even if that "other DVCS" is
> better.

I missed this bit :-/

I dont believe it will be harder - in fact I dont think it will make any
difference if hg were chosen because hg plays nicely with git.  More
like the other way round - if git were chosen it would make proper use
of a DRCS harder on the majority of the eCos community.

git may be mainstream to Linux users, but is IMHO is not as user
friendly as what the majority of eCos users and contributors should
expect from a DRCS.  I believe that it will make life harder than it
ought to be when converting to a DRCS model, and particularly to anyone
who is not familiar with Linux (Windows users, and the average eCos user).

Think about it.  Most eCos users and developers use Windows for their
development, yet most contributors are Linux power users.  Surely we
want something that would encourage and make it easier for Windows
hosted eCos developers to contribute, yet does not inhibit those Linux
power users and existing regular eCos contributors (and of course the
eCos maintainers) in any way?

-- Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
www.ecoscentric.com