What causes interrupted network system calls?

Somebody working on a network-intensive eCos application
reported to me that in situations where there are frequent
connection open/close operations, the various socket-related
system calls (send, connect, etc.) are frequently returning
-EINTR.

This application was recently ported from the old NetBSD
network stack to the FreeBSD stack, and the -EINTR return
values were never seen with the old stack.

Is the frequent -EINTR return expected behavior for the new
stack?

Is there a way to get the stack to restart system calls, or is
application code required to check for -EINTR and retry system
calls?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm continually AMAZED
                                  at               at th'breathtaking effects