Replacing Cygwin

Does anyone have an alternative to Cygwin?

I would love a scaled down Linux distribution that
was oriented towards replacing Cygwin, e.g. using
VirtualBox. It would "walk and talk" like Cygwin, except
it would work :-)

How would I launch a debug session from Eclipse hosted
under Windows in this scenario?

I'm a happy Ubuntu user since last year, but especially
novice eCos users aren't that lucky.

Example of problem in Cygwin that is pestering Windows
users I work with(the replacing CVS thread prompted me
to post this).

Cygwin 1.7 broke git ssh and it hasn't been fixed yet(since
Dec. 23 2009). I believe other git transports are ok: file,
http, etc.

msysgit introduces the dis-feature (bug?) to do line end
conversions of text files on git. msysgit default is to do line end
conversions, which sounds like a recipe for disaster. I have
no idea where that feature begins and where it ends, so
I turned it off when I took msysgit for a spin. I like the fact
that git doesn't transform files, easy to get your head around.

I believe Cygwin/git/openssh/msysgit all suffer from line
ending problems these days... (I'm a happy Ubuntu
user since last year...)

It's 2010: why hasn't this been put to bed once and for
all and where are the flying cars??? :-)

I'm sure everything is just *perfect* in hg land, or is
hg+ssh broken by Cygwin as well?  I'd hate to give
instructions to customers to mix Cygwin and Windows
tools... Shudder...

--
Ãyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00