Re: Replacing CVS - decision time: part 2

Hi Alex

> Rewriting history is IMHO very very dangerous and defeats the purpose of
> a RCS.  That purpose is after all to track changes to your code.  IMHO
> this ability to change history is more about protecting an individual's
> vanity than anything else.

I guess this is a emacs vs vi type of discussion....

I do find it useful to change history, but i use it sparingly. The
major usage i have for it is to make sure git bisect works. I take
patches from downstream and feed them upstream. I sometime see patches
in a patch set where one patch breaks the build and the next fixes it.
So i will change history and merge these two patches into one.

What i don't want is somebody doing a git bisect to happen to land on
broken state, so making their bisect harder to do.

Jifl made an interesting comment. He expects contributors to submit
patches, not pull requests. So an eCos maintainer has no idea if
history has been changed when he receives a set of patches. The
contributors are free to decide for themselves, if they wish to change
the history or not. Similarly, the eCos maintainer who receives a set
of patches can also change the history, squashing patches together
etc. Just care has to be taken to do this in private, before the
changes are pushed into a public repo where such changes could cause
problems.

This is very emacs vs vi like. I don't care what editor you use, since
it is totally transparent to me. I don't care if you change history, i
don't know if you have changed history, it is transparent to me....

      Andrew