Re: Replacing CVS - decision time: part 2

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
I think it's better for review to be seeing the patches and being able to
discuss them; and we've talked about using bugzilla for patch management.
Maybe in future we could use pull requests for more experienced
contributors. NB hg doesn't have pull requests.

It doesn't? I don't see there being any fundamental difference between a mail to Linus, from one of his trusted lieutenants, saying "please git pull some.server/some/path/" and a mail (say) to you saying "please hg pull some.server/some/path/".

But, like you, I am more comfortable with the idea of patch review for the time being. It really depends on the nature of one's community, and pull requests just don't match the way we're currently doing things. They might very well become a later addition to the workflow if we reach a point where it makes sense to give trusted contributors responsibility for entire subtrees.

Ross

--
eCosCentric Ltd, Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK
Registered in England no. 4422071.                 www.ecoscentric.com