Re: Linux synthetic target build errors

On 2010-05-04, Aziz Bodal <azizbodal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am able to get the grub to load,

That's 90% of the battle.

> however I am not able to get my program to run. My program is a
> compiled hello world application.
>
> I see the option of my program (a.out) from GRUB boot loader but when
> I select it, I get:
>
> Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format.... Press any key
> to continue...

What format is your application?  It should a statically linked ELF
file:

$ file server.elf
server.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

> Below is the output when I execute runit.sh:
>
> open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
> QEMU waiting for connection on: telnet:[::1]:9876,server
> QEMU 0.11.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
> (qemu) info kvm
> kvm support: disabled
> (qemu) kvm support enabled
> unknown command: 'kvm'
> (qemu) lsmod|grep kvm
> unknown command: 'lsmod|grep'
> (qemu) q
> Set 'tap0' nonpersistent
>
> I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not quite clear on how the
> eCos operating system gets loaded. Is it compiled into the program?

Yes.  eCos is a library that is linked with the application object
files to produce a statically linke executable ELF format file that
includes the OS and application.

> How does QEMU know what architecture to emulate?

That is configured when you build qemu.  If you want to see the list
of machines that your particular build knows about do this:

  $ qemu -M ?
  Supported machines are:
  pc         Standard PC (default)
  isapc      ISA-only PC

Your copy of qemu is emulating the correct machine, otherwise grub
wouldn't run at all.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! UH-OH!!  We're out
                                  at               of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and