Split Variant HAL into two Packages

Hello,

is there an example how I can split a variant HAL into two Packages.
I wanna split the at91sam9 processor variant into a core part which is common to all at91sam9xxx processors (and which also will have dependencies to the second stage). Upon this package I'd like the second stage variant HAL that actual implements the whole processor support. And upon this second stage I wanna put the board package.
The approach to implement all at91sam9xxx processor in one variant/platform produces overmuch #ifdefs.

Greetings,
 Martin Laabs

PS: Just to prevent getting to much e-mails. Yes - I have implemented the AT91SAM9260 processor but the code must be cleaned up and have to become more structured until I can release it.