GUI using the Framebuffer API (was: Re: Re: Framebuffer, MicroWindows)

Hi John,

Am Montag, den 02.08.2010, 12:38 +0100 schrieb John Dallaway:
> The original port of Microwindows to eCos precedes the eCos framebuffer
> I/O layer. However, I note that Alex Neundorf has been working on an
> updated port which appears to include eCos framebuffer support
> (CYGBLD_MICROWINDOWS_FBAPI_DRIVERS). Ref:
>
> http://www.ecosforge.net/ecosforge/branches/packages/microwindows-mergecvs/current/

Thanks for the pointer! I already found this port this morning (well,
trunk seems to be older than this branch).

I gave it a try, but failed. After commenting in some sys/select.h
includes, I got further, but I'm now failing with undefined 'nxSocket's
and other stuff. Seems to be related to NONETWORK when I actually do
have networking. I gave up on that (for now).

So, what springs to my mind, what other options for a graphical user
interface do I have? I don't really need a window manager, but a kind of
GUI library for a more comfortable way than doing everything by hand
using pixel manipulation.

I'm doing a "littel" (well, getting bigger and bigger) project in my
freetime, so commercial GUI libs aren't an option here.

I found MiniGUI on the net, which claims to have eCos support, but there
is zero documentation available and a quick search through the ML
archieves here gives me the impression, that it's completely unsupported
and noone seems to have really used it.

Are there any other options for building a neat GUI using the
framebuffer? Drawing text, some menus, maybe buttons and images,
something like that. I don't need a full featured window manager...

Any ideas/input on that front are very welcome!

Cheers,
Manuel

--
Manuel Borchers