Re: Re: Atmel AT91FR40162 overstock?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 09:33:48AM +0200, Morten Leikvoll wrote:
> >I am in the Cortex M3 hell with the TI/Luminary  LM3S5T36  which  has  a
> >lead time of 140 days (even for samples and I am at the halftime)  which
> >mean, I can not complete 11 differnt types of prototypes,  to  test  and
> >certify it and go into production in February 2011. And if you will need
> >between 2000-5000 pcs per month you can imagine the losts...
>
> Eek!
>
> >I have work for 25 hours a day and do not know the "Economic Crises" but
> >I am affected in all directions...
>
> It's really annoying. Our Altera FPGA's also have half a year lead
> time. Someone at top level at the die factories should be fired for
> bad planning!

Are you saying they failed on a contractual deliverable, or that
purchasing didn't confirm the order you'd like tomorrow 179 days ago?

> I wonder why it takes so long to reboot the factories they shut during
> the critical times. Did they tear them down?

Maybe they laid off all the people? Now they need to find & hire good
people, train, calibrate lines, evaluate operations, correct/optimise,
build volume... Perhaps you are better off without the first few trays
to come off a newly configured line? Perhaps the factories need to order
in advance from their supply-chain too?

> >I asume you or your enterprise too...
>
> We have to buy the MCU's at the spot marked, wich means currently an
> additional $30-40 extra each (normal price ~$7)... and prices are
> increasing as overstock gets harder to find :(

Ouch! That may also explain the increased volume of targetted spam from
(new) agents looking for excess inventory recently.

> (sorry for the off topic thread)

Many good systems have a safety-valve ;-)

 Daniel

  Daniel Morris - Sales & Marketing Director
  eCosCentric - The eCos and RedBoot experts
  Tel: +44 1223 245 571 - info@eCosCentric.com
  DDI: +44 1269 591 171 - danielm@eCosCentric.com

  ****  Visit us at Embedded Live  http://www.embedded-live.com  ****
  ****  Oct 20-21 on Stand #211 at London Earls Court            ****

  eCosCentric Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with
  company number 4422071, VAT number GB 811 6278 42, registered address
  Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.