STM3210E crash

Has there been much success recently using an STM3210E-EVAL board?  I
seem to be having a few odd issues:

I have downloaded the toolchain, and also the tip-of-repository code
from eCosCentric.  I have built a set of libraries using the default
template, changing only the startup type from RAM (the default) to
ROM.  I assume that this will provide a binary which, when flashed to
the board, will cause the application to boot at power-up.  I have
also built the kernel tests - I am using tm_basic for most testing,
although I have the same issue with a hello_world style app that I
wrote.

I have used a SEGGER J-Link tool to flash the image, and then
monitored the output from the debug port.  The test starts OK  but
often halts midway through.  Enabling asserts is only slightly more
informative.  Often this is "Top/Base of stack corrupt", although I
have also seen "Scheduler lock == 0".  The point at which the crash
occurs can vary, although it rarely gets very far into the list of
timings before giving up.  It can occasionally run to test completion.

I haven't yet got the J-Link adapter sufficiently set up to provide
much useful insight into the internals (that may be the subject of a
subsequent email!).  It does at least appear to be correctly writing
the application to flash (via GDB and the J-Link gdb-server).  Can
anyone suggest what might be causing this series of crashes, or
recommend where to start when gathering more information?

I have also noticed a slightly odd piece of configuration data - the
default chip type for the board is listed as an STM32F103ZE, when my
board appears to have an STM32F103ZD.  The different is in the amount
of internal flash that the chip has available.  The configuration
option never seems to be used anywhere as far as I can see.  I assume
that it doesn't make much difference, provided my program is small
enough to fit on the smaller flash.  Does anyone know if there are
different versions of the eval board?

Thanks in advance

Alan Bowman