Re: [ecos-discuss] invalid ecos.db following cvs-update

Am 01.12.2010, 17:42 Uhr, schrieb Sergei Gavrikov <sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com>:

Bob Brusa wrote:

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Bob Brusa wrote:
> > Hi
> > under windows xp with cygwin, I entered the command
> > cvs -z3 update -d -P
> > It goes through without error messages, but I end up with an
> > ecos.db-file that is refused by configtool.
> >
> > The file starts with a sequence of >>>>>>> and also includes many cr
> > (ASCII '\0x0a'). The usual header (comment-section at the beginning of
> > the file) is missing. What went wrong and how can i fix this?
>
> This indicates you had a conflict in merging the changes to that file,
> most likely stemming from local changes to the file.
>
> The easiest thing would be to do something like this:
> % mv ecos.db ecos.db.BAD
> % cvs up ecos.db
> Then manually compare them and figure out how to merge your changes
> into the master.

I did as you said, but got lots of differences and hence did not trust the
result. I decided to rename my ecos-folder and download a fresh ecos using the
command

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@ecos.sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos co -P ecos

Then, using the administration tool of configtool, i added my platform and
template, selected my template (and hardware) from the build menu, created the
tree and started the build. It stopped after some time with the following
sequence....

<cut>
arm-eabi-gcc -c  -I/ecos-c/ecos/icb4/icb_app_3_install/include
-I/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current
-I/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current/src
-I/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current/tests -I.
-I/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current/src/
-finline-limit=7000 -Wall -Wpointer-arith  -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual
-Wno-write-strings -mno-thumb-interwork -mcpu=arm7tdmi -g -O2
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-Wp,-MD,src/strnlen.tmp -o src/language_c_libc_string_strnlen.o
/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current/src/strnlen.cxx
/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/string/current/src/strnlen.cxx:71:
error: 'size_t strnlen(const char*, size_t)' aliased to undefined symbol
'__strnlen'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/ecos-c/ecos/icb4/icb_app_3_build/language/c/libc/string/current'
make[1]: *** [src/strnlen.o.d] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/ecos-c/ecos/icb4/icb_app_3_build'

When doing a diff, I find that the new ecos.db and the previous repaired one
match - except for a) nonrelevant comments, spaces etc. and of coarse b) the
package that I had added. So where is the problem? I am still using the tools
that came with ecos-3.0. Is this the problem and I must update this as well?
Robert

Hi Robert,

It was good to know.  If you need exactly ecos-3.0 ecos.db, then you can
grab the original from Web:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ecos/?cvsroot=ecos

scroll down and set:

Show only files with tag [ecos-v3_0-release ] [Go]

and download the wanted ecos.db.

NOTE: ecos.db sources itself if you manage eCos packages (add, remove,
packages), so, backup original ecos.db, "diff" it with new one and
adjust addons/rejects using your $EDITOR (in 90% you need to append new
package/target definitions at the end the original ecos.db).

About build error. Perhaps, that's *v3_0* vs *current* mess. Start build
in new fresh directory then.

Sergei

Hi Sergei
I think there are some misunderstandings in our email exchange and hence I probably should explain a little bit more what I did:

a) I downloaded (using cvs) ecos into an fresh empty folder. Except for the build-tools used (which are however not in ecos-3.0 but elsewhere) my "current" ecos has nothing to do with the previous "ecos-3.0". But never the less, I get the above errors during the build process.

b) Going back to ecos-3.0 would not solve my problem, because I understood, version 3.0 remains untouched and does not include the new feature (of lwip) I need.

c) the ecos-3.0 I have is ok - see a) and b). No need to grab it again from the net.

d) I conclude from your remark about editing ecos.db, that one can no longer update ecos using cvs, if one has made any changes - e. g. added a package. Even if one did this using configtool and feeding in the new stuff packed in an epk-file. Correct?

Thank you for your help and best regards - Robert