Re: Re: Talking of cheap eval boards...

Hi John, hi list,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.11.2010, 09:52 +0000 schrieb John Dallaway:
> >> STM32F103VET6, UART on DB-9, standard 20-way JTAG, RTC, MicroSD, QVGA
> >> colour LCD (with touchscreen), DataFlash, GPIO header.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer! I ordered one, yesterday. I'll see when I get
> > time to build a board-port to it. May guess is sometime in the next
> > year...
>
> I would appreciate your opinion on build quality when the board arrives.
> The price has dropped to US$ 49.30 !

My board arrived today. I had no time to test the CPU, but there is a
demo of uC/GUI flashed on it, so I could verify the board works.

The build quality is nearly perfect. Good solder-stop mask, no could
soldering points, no flux residue, ICs and other components perfectly
placed.
Nearly perfect because my CPU board has two long, but fine scratches on
the backside. The solder-stop mask is a bit scratched away, but the
traces are perfectly intact. I guess this could be only my board,
because they seem to be randomly placed on the backside. The
display-board is pefrect, there are no scratches and everything else as
described for the CPU board.

Anyone considering buying one of these should keep in mind that the
STM32F103 has no ethernet on-board and this CPU board doesn't have an
external ethernet chip on it. I also saw boards (from the same bidder)
with a DM9xxx on it, so I guess it's possible to attach one. But I
didn't investigate the pinouts of the connectors too deep (the display
controller is connected to the external memory bus, though).

Cheers,
Manuel

--
Manuel Borchers