Re: PolarSSL [Was: On Porting OpenSSL v1.0.0c]

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:

> [Fork thread]
>
> FYI: SSL for silly H/W
>
> Michael Bergandi wrote:
> > Sergei,
> >
> > Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
> > > My 2 cents:
> > >
> > > I would look at PolarSSL
> > > 1) http://polarssl.org/features
> > > 2) http://polarssl.org/licensing
> > >
> > > IMO, point #2 is valuable thing to port PolarSSL to eCos.
> >
> > Looks Ok, but I see no mention of an interface to encryption
> > hardware accelerators.  That is a big sticking point for us.
>
> Michael, I get it. Excuse this fork, maybe it's interesting to know.
>
> As an getting the 'libpolarssl.a' for eCos took only 10 minutes
> (project follows great coding style) and library's size was <160K, I
> will stick on it and I hope I will try to test it this weekend.
> However, this was my first look.
>
> At least I got 3 simple SSL (PolarSSL) execs for eCos (2 clients and 1
> server) for testing.  It was just used eCos 'net' template to build
> the library and tests. I hope they will work. If anyone is interested
> I have small patch and draft makefile to build PolarSSL for eCos.

Hi,

Well, as I promised to test, short report is here. PolarSSL 'ssl_server'
quite works under eCos (tested on Linux synthetic target).

The encrypted connections with the server were established using Mozilla
Firefox 3.6, 4.0 beta; Google Chrome 8.0 beta; w3m/0.5.2. I'm sorry, I
have not IEs.

I would mention also that you can test PolarSSL executables are built
for your hosts (Lunux or Windows).

On my look port PolarSSL to eCos would be straightforward, but, now
I have some doubts about it's license (all sources point on GPL only).

Sergei