Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?

On 2011-05-16 08:18, Manuel Borchers wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 13.05.2011, 12:13 +0100 schrieb Alex Schuilenburg:
>> I strongly suggest you switch to eCos 3.0/anoncvs and the arm-eabi gcc
>> 4.3.2 (cygwin hosted) we contributed to the eCos 3.0 public release
> Actually, I am on CVS. I did the testing with this old compiler version,
> because that's what we have installed in the lab ('cause the IDE is
> little old and at that point 4.0.3 was considered stable).

That's interesting as I am surprised you got anywhere using arm-elf on
CVS as CVS has been moved over to use arm-eabi for all 3.0 ARM targets.

Maybe you are using an older target that has not been updated - what is
your target?

>> You probably have found a linker/compiler bug.  Not many people
>> appreciate the effort we put into testing the GNU tools on real hardware
> I really much appreciate having the ecoscentric provided toolchains!
> Sorry, if my last mail sounded offending, that was really not what it
> should be!
None taken - I was just pointing out that you cannot expect arbitrary
toolchains to just work.  We put a lot of effort into testing and fixing
the tools.  Because we have our own tests with many different
configurations we tend to find optimisation bugs, edge conditions, etc
which otherwise would escape undetected - not much chance of
finding/fixing a problem when it is in a satellite in orbit :-/

>> I disagree and I find this surprising.  The 4.3.2 arm-eabi toolchain
>> contribution is only 2 years old and we have had no issues using it with
>> a current cygwin on XP or 7, although there have been problems with
>> cygwin on vista but I believe the cygwin team have sorted out those
>> issues quite a while ago. For eCos/eCosPro 3.0 we only officially
>> supported Windows XP, although we do have customers successfully using
>> the tools on Windows 7.
> I retried the whole setup. I got it working well when I'm inside the
> cygwin shell (bash).

Good, so its working...

>> tightly-locked-down corporate desktops.  If you have full control of the
>> PC, you should not encounter any difficulties (although from what you
>> mention, you dont have that luxury).
> That's the tricky part. I would really like to avoid installing anything
> to the boxes (we have three labs with 5 pcs each, doing that by hand is
> a nightmare ;) My first attempts were to eliminate the need to install
> the complete cygwin environment. I hoped to just copy the needed dlls
> over to the toolchain and could run directly from the windows command
> promt.
> That's what's working with the 4.0.3 toolchain from our normal IDE
> (Hitex HiTop, by the way); they just have the cywin1.dll in the bin path
> and that's it.
> The same fails for the arm-eabi-4.3.2 toolchain. I'm going to experiment
> a bit more by coping over the cygwin dirs to a network drive and running
> a modified batch script to start-up the bash shell on the lab PCs.
>
> But if you (or someone else on the list) have any other hints on how I
> could work without the full cygwin, that would be great.
I am not sure what you mean by the full cygwin.  Do you mean running the
cygwin installer, or do you just want to copy over DLLs? Certainly the
full cygwin is not needed and you only need the base tools and a small
additional subset of tools/libs. The list of what you need is on the
sourceware website (somewhere, sorry I cannot be more specific).  I
would not recommend the latter since the installer sets up registry
entries (like mountpoints) which would probably cause you grief in
setting up the env properly.

I dont know anything about Hitex HiTop, but if it uses its own cygwin
environment, you may run into trouble as you cannot have two different
cygwin environments on the same machine running simultaneously.  Maybe
look at adding the missing packages to the other cygwin env and try
running within that?

HTH
-- Alex