Re: Why is IPv6 in RedBoot not possible?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 04:54:23PM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2012-01-23 16:44, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >We're adding IPv6 support to our eCos-based products.  The basic IPv6
> >support in the "full-up" application code is working fine (at least
> >with static and link-local addressing).  The next big question mark is
> >RedBoot.
> >
> >I need to either add IPv6 support to RedBoot or make some basic
> >changes to the way our product works (specifically how the application
> >is updated in the field).  Many years back Andrew Lunn stated that
> >IPv6 support in RedBoot was not possibleP
> >
> >   From: Andrew Lunn<andrew.lunn<at>  ascom.ch>
> >   Subject: Re: hello..I have a problem about make redboot suport IPv6
> >   Newsgroups: gmane.os.ecos.general
> >   Date: 2003-05-26 07:24:20 GMT (8 years, 34 weeks, 4 days, 16 hours and 12 minutes ago)
> >
> >   >  No. Redboot has its own little TCP/IP stack. Have a look in
> >   >  packages/redboot/current/support/net/. This is a very simple IP stack,
> >   >  which is IPv4 only. IPv6 in redboot is not possible.
> >
> >My question is why?
> >
> >I realize it might be a fair amount of work to implement some sort of
> >IPv6 support in RedBoot, but I'm wondering what would make it "not
> >possible".
>
> Adding IPv6 to RedBoot is not impossible, but it will require a
> large amount of work, certainly requiring changes to all the existing
> code as well as adding additional support.  Andrew's "not possible"
> was most likely an expression of how involved this might be.

Hee, this was such a long time ago. Maybe it was referring to the
original poster adding the FreeBSD stack to his configuration and
expecting RedBoot to use it.

You might be able to steal ideas and code from uIP. I forget what
license it uses.

Or, depending on what you actually need from the boot loader, it might
be possible to swap to uboot, which seems to have some patches
floating around for IPv6 support.

	 Andrew