Re: eCos arm-eabi GNU tools - test release 4.6.2-20120125

On 2012-02-25, Sergei Gavrikov <sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:

> The output does not mean that eCos global CFLGAGS for your *arm-elf*
> target contain CYGBLD_GLOBAL_WARNFLAGS as a part of CFLAGS, mine
>
>   cdl_option CYGBLD_GLOBAL_CFLAGS {
>       # Default value:  CYGBLD_GLOBAL_WARNFLAGS . CYGBLD_ARCH_CFLAGS .
>
> the output does mean that CYGBLD_GLOBAL_WARNFLAGS option in your CDL
> (and I know there is it in ecos.ecc :-) I think your CFLAGS has not such
> a concatenation.

You're right.  I've changed my default value to look like this:

default_value { CYGBLD_GLOBAL_WARNFLAGS . CYGBLD_ARCH_CFLAGS .
 "-mcpu=arm7tdmi -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions " }

[...]
>> > Is there -Wno-write-strings in your CFLAGS?
>>
>> No.
>
> Bad news for old sources are processed by newest compilers. Could you
> please show your ecos.mak?  To comparison mine (NXP ARM7TDMI)
>
>   % grep CFLAGS /tmp/t/install/include/pkgconf/ecos.mak
>   ECOS_GLOBAL_CFLAGS = -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-write-strings -mno-thumb-interwork -mcpu=arm7tdmi -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions

ECOS_GLOBAL_CFLAGS = -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef
-Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-write-strings -mno-thumb-interwork
-mcpu=arm7tdmi -mbig-endian -g -O2 -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exception

> I think that -Wno-write-strings from CYGBLD_GLOBAL_WARNFLAGS (it is a
> really part of CYGBLD_GLOBAL_CFLAGS for *arm-eabi* targets in eCos CVS)
> does fulfill  main "clean-up" job for any old sources and for BSD
> sources as well.

Now I've got -Wno-write-strings (as seen above), but I still get 139
warnings, and 88 of them are because of dereferencing type-punned
pointers by bsd_tcpip files.

It still looks to me like the bsd_tcpip cdl needs to add
-fno-strict-aliasing to CFLAGS.

After doing that, I'm down to 51 warnings.

39 are variables that are set but not used -- almost all in bsd_tcpip files.

Most of the rest are signed/unsigned mismatches for pointer arguments.
Again, almost all are in bsd_tcpip code.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm imagining a surfer
                                  at               van filled with soy sauce!